This self-paced, online training introduces several fundamental concepts of lidar and demonstrates how high-accuracy lidar-derived elevation data support natural resource and emergency management applications in the coastal zone. The material provides geospatial analysts with the information needed to understand the characteristics of lidar that have direct impacts on mapping and spatial analysis projects. A demonstration is included to show how lidar data can be downloaded from NOAA’s Digital Coast.
What You Will Learn
After completing this course, participants will be able to
- Define lidar
- Select types of elevation data for specific coastal applications
- Describe how lidar data are collected
- Identify the characteristics of lidar data
- Distinguish between lidar data products
- Recognize aspects of data quality that impact data usability
- Locate lidar data sources and additional information resources
- Familiarity with basic remote sensing principles and geographic concepts
- Understanding Map Projections, Datums, and Coordinate Systems e-learning course is recommended
- Internet connection
- Flash plug-in (download)
For additional course, hosting, or registration information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.